From a BH&G canning cookbook. Serve this on warm crusty bread as appetizer or as a go-along with salad or soup.
- Wash tomatoes; remove peel, stem ends, cores and seeds.
- Finely chop tomatoes. Measure 3 1/2 cups.
- Place tomatoes in 6-quart kettle and heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Measure again--3 1/2 cups and return to pan.
- Add lemon juice and basil.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the sugar with the pectin; stir into tomatoes.
- Heat to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the remaining 2 3/4 cups sugar; return to a full rolling boil.
- Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim foam with a metal spoon.
- ladle into hot, sterile jars, leave 1/4 in head space; wipe rim, adjust lids and process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.