Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is the worlds simplest appetizer. I'm posting this for ZWT 2006. I have been making this for years. Not company fare as it is rather messy but oh so good for family. It can also be made in a heat proof bowl or SMALL baking dish in a 350 degree oven if browned cheese is important to you. I personally just want to get to eating this as quickly as possible and love just having it for a light dinner for myself. This makes one serving but is easily increased.
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced into thick rings
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (more or less to taste)
- salt (can use bread dipping seasonings too)
- 1⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese
- Put the tomato on a microwave safe plate and drizzle with the olive oil; use the best olive oil you can as this is for flavor.
- Salt the tomato to personal taste, then scatter the Basil and Cheese over the top.
- Heat on high in the microwave until the cheese is melted and bubbly (watch carefully so you don't get that yucky microwaved hard cheese) and the tomato has softened.
So quick---So simple---And so good!! I could eat this every day! Added a little garlic salt (and probably a little more cheese too!). Thanks for posting!
I just made this last night and decided to put it in the oven rather than the microwave - it tasted so good!!! Even my boyfriend loved it, it was excellent, thanks for the recipe!
This was fantastic! A simple easy side dish and a great way to use up Summer tomatoes! We loved this and will make this often.