Recipe by Manami
This is an Ina Garten recipe. As she prepared them, I thought I can't let this go by and I printed the recipe. Here it is. Ina made these for a "Mock Thanksgiving Dinner" she was testing for a magazine.
Top Review by Sooty_Cat
This is great! I serve these at almost every party I hold. I do cheat a little bit though; I tend to use basil pesto and leave out the oil, since I find that fresh basil would make this recipe prohibitively expensive, and I also make it into pinwheels rather than elephant ears to make the recipe go further. But the taste is fantastic and they always disappear quickly. Thanks for a yummy snack!
- 1 1⁄4 cups sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
- 5 cups basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted (Pepperridge Farm recommended)
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- To make the paste, place the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Process for 30 seconds.
- Add the basil, salt and pepper.
- With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the the bowl through the feed tube and process until pureéd.
- Add the Parmesan and pureé for 15 seconds.
- Set aside.
- Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry and place it on a lightly floured board.
- With a rolling pin, lightly roll the dough until it's a 13" square.
- Using a knife, spread the paste over the top of the puff pastry.
- Fold the sides of the square toward the center so they go halfway to the middle of the dough.
- Fold them again so the 2 folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough.
- Then fold one half over the other half as though closing a book.
- You will have six layers.
- Slice the dough into 3/8" slices and place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Brush each piece with egg wash and place in the oven.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Turn each pastry slice over and continue baking an additional 5 minutes.