Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
A refreshing appetizer served on baguettes; Ideal for parties and dinners.
- 2 French baguettes (24 slices)
- 10 red Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 118.29 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped (optional)
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper, to taste
- 78.07 ml chopped fresh basil, mix with oil and vinegar, to put on top of baguettes
- 1. Par boil tomatoes, for 1 minute; remove skin, cut in half remove seeds if possible.
- 2. Chop the tomatoes fine; put in bowl with garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar. Mix well.
- 3. Add 1/3rd cup chopped basil, garli, salt and pepper.
- 4. Slice the baguette on a diagonal 1/2 inch slices. Rub garlic on the slices.
- 5. Drizzle oil on one side and use pastry brush to spread.
- 6. Place baguettes on baking sheet., oil side down; toast in upper rack of oven for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 7. To serve, align the bread on the serving platter, oil side down. Place tomato mixture on each piece of bread. You may add additional minced basil/oil mixture on top. Serve.
- Variations: Add mozzarella cheese, peppers etc.