Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
This breads' chewy crust pairs well with a steaming mug of soup. The pretty color and robust flavor are a great pairing with chicken or turkey cold cuts or a summer tomato sandwich. I use this basic recipe in my bread machine using the dough cycle; following my bread machines instructions. I then bake it in the oven. I also omit the red pepper flakes and, at times, omit the Parmesan cheese and replace it with an additional 1/4 cup of flour. Be careful and add additional flour a little at a time depending on the humidity in your kitchen.
- 7.08 g package active dry yeast
- 177.44 ml warm water (110 to 115 )
- 59.14 ml fresh basil, minced (substitute with 2 tablespoons dried)
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.59-1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 591.47-650.62 ml bread flour
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in basil, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, sugar, oil, salt, pepper flakes and 2 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; knead for 1 minute. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- With a sharp knife, cut a large "X" in top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
I bake. My family eats and leaves crumbs. Raw deal, heh?
I made this recipe to go with a turkey sandwich recipe I wanted to try also..OMG this was so good the sandwich was fab..I made to loaves,one I gave to my daughter..I used 1/4 tsp total ,used my KA for mixing and kneading otherwise followed recipe exactly...What a great sandwich bread,or even with a hearty soup..I will definitely be making this again. I recommend trying #116193 bacon turkey bravo to go with this bread, delish..Thank U......
Great bread Brandess! First off I used whole wheat flour so of course my results will be a bit different. That being said I did end up with a wonderful flavoursome loaf that accompanied Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup very well.. I made your recipe in a stand mixer and added an additional 1 cup of flour after step one. The rising time was longer due to the type of flour and the weather. I did use the crushed red pepper flakes and next time will add at least a teaspoon. I also brushed the outside with cold water before and during cooking to get a lovely crisp crust. Thank you for the recipe.