Recipe by Chef Shadows
I found this recipe years ago and don't remember where... It is a hardy bread that goes well with soups or used for sandwiches. Simple to make yet tasty.
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 cups flour, may require more
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve 1 tblsp of sugar for yeast mixture.
- Combine remaining sugar, salt, oil, 1 1/2 c water, sundried tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes and tomato paste in a large bowl and let soak.
- Dissolve yeast, 1 tblsp sugar and 1/3 c water.
- When yeast is active combine half of the flour and the water and seasoning mix, then add the yeast mixture, mix well.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to create a stiff dough.
- Let rise twice.
- Preheat oven to 375F and form dough into one loaf -- let rise, then bake for 40-50 minutes.