Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from a magazine called Midwest Living. It's the best recipe I've found for tomato basil soup and just wanted to share it.
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- In a large saucepan, cook celery, carrots, onion, and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender, but not brown.
- Add tomato juice, chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place half of the soup in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Return all of the mixture to the saucepan. Stir in whipping cream and sugar; heat through. Stir in fresh basil. Ladle into warm soup bowls. Top each serving with some of the pesto and garnish with fresh basil leaves, if you like. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Just wanted to add a note to the previous review - I usually freeze the leftover tomato paste in small baggies. Portion it up & freeze it, then use it when you need it.
I gave this recipe 5 stars because it is very easy and very good. Doesn't take too long to make and I usually have all the ingredients anyway. I used one can of Rotel tomatoes with diced chiles and I used the whole 6 ounce can of tomatoe paste because I didn't want it to go to waste. Why do they make those cans 6oz. anyway? Other than that I followed it exactly and its great.
I have made this three times and it is the best tomato bisque soup recipe! It was a winner at soup potluck. I recommend following the measurements exactly or it dilutes the flavor. I used boxed tomatoes instead of canned. I also added a half of a red bell pepper that I broiled in the over first. It gives it a little extra flavor if you like peppers. I also add 2 Tbs of Parmesan to the pot same times as the cream. Perfect with bread or a grilled cheese sandwich on a rainy day.