Prep 15 mins
Cook 14 hrs
From "The Everything Raw Food Cookbook." My kids call these "pizza crackers," as they have an almost cheesy flavor. Cooking time included soaking and dehydrating time. **NOTE: You need a dehydrator for this recipe**
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, raw unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato
- 2 cups flax seeds
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Soak sunflower seeds in water for 4 hours. Soak sun-dried tomatoes for 3 hours.
- Grind flax into coarse powder.
- Process sunflower seeds, celery, sun-dried tomatoes, dates, jalapeno pepper, olive oil, and salt in food processor.
- Add tomato, basil and ground flax and pulse until well-mixed.
- Spread mixture about 1/4-inch thick onto dehydrator trays with nonstick sheets.
- Dehydrate at 145F for 2 hours.
- Cut into cracker-sized pieces.
- Turn over and dehydrate at 115F for an additional 8 hours.
I love this recipe. I'm attempting to greatly reduce the amount of wheat in my diet and was looking for a tasty bread replacement. I have made these crackers twice and love the flavour of the tomatoes and basil. I adjusted the temp - 115deg for 4hrs initially, then an extra 10. I had some trouble processing the mix after adding the flax meal, but they still came out well. I probably need to upgrade my processor!!