Recipe by lmkga
Delicious, light, always gets rave reviews. Perfect for a brunch when you are entertaining.
Top Review by Recipe Reader
I thought this was pretty good. I cut the recipe in half, an 8 x 8 baking dish, and baked for the full amount of time. I used sourdough bread and fresh basil, which I added to the top after baking. I would use more tomato slices and more basil next time. Made for Herb/Spice of the Month. Thanks for posting!
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter/ grease 9x12 casserole dish.
- Place cubed bread in one layer on bottom of the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bread with butter and 2 1/2 cup cheese (reserve 3/4 cup grated cheese for topping casserole).
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Add milk, wine, scallions, and seasonings.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Place remianing shredded cheese,tomato and basil on top of egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Let casserole sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degreed for one hour.