1 hr 40 mins
I was responsible for this recipe in class. It is not the typical BBQ sauce, but is out of this world. The list of ingredients may be long, but it is well worth it!! The will yield 1 qt of sauce, enough for 3-4 slabs of ribs or 4-6 chickens. It can also be canned. Just follow the instructions for canning high acid foods. This is also a mild sauce, but you may add 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper (or to taste) for a hotter sauce. The chiles used in this recipe are the large dried MILD red chiles called California or New Mexico chiles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, roughly chopped or
- 1 (25 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 4 dried red chilies, seeded and torn into pieces (California or New Mexico)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- 2Add the onion, garlic and ginger.
- 3Saute until the onion is translucent, about 5 minute.
- 4Add the tomatoes, oregano, chile pieces, vinegar, honey, and soy sauce.
- 5Stir to combine and lower the heat to medium low.
- 6Grind the whole spices (cardamom, cloves, fennel, cinnamon stick, and mustard seeds) in a spice grinder or for a workout in a mortar.
- 7Add the spices to the sauce.
- 8Simmer, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until the sauce is thick and tasty, up to 2 hours.
- 9Strain sauce or put through a fine disk of a food mill.
- 10Use immediately or refrigerate for short term use. Can also be canned.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Based Barbecue Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1137.7
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3616.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 196.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.6 g
- Sugars 138.1 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: