Recipe by dicentra
This is soooo good! Its easy to make, makes a lot, and freezes well. Try serving with flour tortillas.
Top Review by morgainegeiser
O.K. I will admit up front I am not a fan of barley, I sometimes just find it overpowering. I did find that the V8 and tomatoes offset this taste and I was able to enjoy a very nice soup.
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (bite size pieces)
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice (V-8 works great)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (use lots!!)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, bring water to a boil. Add barley, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until barley is tender.
- Add oil to frying pan and set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, garlic, carrot, basil and tarragon.
- When the onions are lightly browned, add the veggies, with the canned tomatoes to the broccoli.
- Add the tomato juice.
- Cook 30 min more, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.