Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great simple comfort food. Good for you, too! For the vegan version, simply substitute a plant-based oil such as coconut or walnut for the butter when you saute the onions.
- 2 (1587.57 g) bottle tomato puree
- 1419.54 ml water or 1419.54 ml vegetable stock
- 2 large yellow onions
- 44.37 ml butter (sub a plant-based oil for vegan soup)
- 236.59 ml barley (uncooked)
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 14.78 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml ground celery seed
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml red pepper
- 4.92 ml white pepper
- Melt butter in large soup pot (For the vegan version, simply substitute a plant-based oil for the butter. Walnut would be good, but use whatever you have on hand.). Chop onion and saute in butter (oil) until translucent.
- Add spices and stir 'til fragrant.
- Pour in tomato puree, water and barley, and simmer over medium heat until barley is tender (about an hour).
- Turn off heat, add coconut milk, serve. Garnish with basil leaves and/or cheese if desired.
- This soup is GREAT with a grilled cheese sandwich.