1/1 Photo of Tomato Barley Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Great simple comfort food. Good for you, too! For the vegan version, simply substitute a plant-based oil such as coconut or walnut for the butter when you saute the onions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) bottles tomato puree
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter (sub a plant-based oil for vegan soup)
- 1 cup barley (uncooked)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1Melt butter in large soup pot (For the vegan version, simply substitute a plant-based oil for the butter. Walnut would be good, but use whatever you have on hand.). Chop onion and saute in butter (oil) until translucent.
- 2Add spices and stir 'til fragrant.
- 3Pour in tomato puree, water and barley, and simmer over medium heat until barley is tender (about an hour).
- 4Turn off heat, add coconut milk, serve. Garnish with basil leaves and/or cheese if desired.
- 5This soup is GREAT with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.8
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 577.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 12.8 g