Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from a Pilsbury Easy Vegetarian Meals book. I make this soup often and can add different things leftover in the fridge, mostly little bits here and there. The tomato barley flavors blend well and I love tomato soup anyway!
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained (use half the can)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato juice
- grated cheese, in bowl (to garnish)
- In medium sauce pan combine all soup ingredients.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- If desired add salt and pepper and top each bowl with grated cheese when served.