Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Modified from "Body & Soul" magazine.
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
- Place barley in a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Let soak for 10 minutes; drain.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrot, garlic and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, paprika, cumin, barley, broth and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes or until flavors have blended. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.