Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the April/May 2008 edition of Taste of Home.
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 10 slices bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Bake pastry shell according to package directions; cool.
- Place tomatoes in the crust; sprinkle with bacon. In a bowl cmobine the mayonnaise and cheese. Spoon over bacon in the center of pie, leaving 1 inch around edge. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover edges with foil if necessary to prevent over browning.
well I did a few changes to this recipe I used half mayo and sour cream and also added in 1 teaspoon garlic powder and some cayenne pepper to the cream mixture, I would strongly suggest to use only Roma (plum) tomatoes to avoid too much moisture from the tomatoes, also to brush the unbaked crust lightly with egg white to avoid a soggy crust, we enjoyed the tonight, thanks Shelby!
After reading the comments from reviewers about a soggy crust, I decided to make a rice crust from my Butternut Pumpkin Pie With a Brown Rice Crust 147043. This added a different texture and further flavour to this great recipe. TOP QUALITY TOMATOES are obviously essential here! I added basil and garlic - must-have ingredients for me when tomatoes are a key ingredient! Apart from that I followed the recipe exactly! A winner with us! Thanks for sharing!
I made this for my tomato loving son and hubby. They both enjoyed it but thought it could use some seasoning. I followed the recipe as written but I also took another reviewers advice and added half of the cheese to the bottom of the pie to help the crust from getting soggy. It did help some but there were spots that it was still soggy.