Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another very versatile recipe - use it as you see fit!
- 3 -5 slices bacon
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 pint water
- 4 ounces honey
- 4 ounces red wine vinegar
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- hot sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
- Fry the bacon until very crisp.
- Reserve and measure the drippings – you will need 2 or 3 ounces of melted fat.
- Set the bacon aside and crumble 3 rashers when it is cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions, stirring often, until they are all quite brown or are turning black.
- In the meantime, pour the water, honey and vinegar into a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add cornstarch and whisk thoroughly again.
- Add tomato paste and whisk thoroughly again.
- Add the mustard to the onions and gently but thoroughly mix together.
- Now pour the water, vinegar, honey, cornstarch and tomato paste melange into the saucepan with the mustard and onions.
- Add the crumbled bacon and optional hot sauce.
- Stir constantly over medium-high heat until thickening and boiling.
- Refrigerate in a tightly sealed container.
VERY good! Added a little more bacon - because I love bacon! Big hit - very tasty! Thank you!