Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A rich tomato bacon soup.So warm and filling on those cold winter nights. My cousin, who cooks at a Hospice Center shared this with me.To make it quick, I use pre cooked bacon. Use real butter, not oleo. Your finished soup will be so much better.I like to serve this with a green salad and a hard roll.Sourdough rolls are great, but any crispy crust bread will do.
- 10 slices crisp cooked bacon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 -3 dashes nutmeg
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- black pepper
- In heavy saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually whisk in half & half and chicken broth.
- Add nutmeg.
- Cook and stir until thickened over medium heat.
- Stir in diced tomatoes along with their juice.
- Dice bacon and add to soup mixture.
- Heat through and season with black pepper.
I am rating this 5 stars, because it is very easy to make, and is so delicious, I will never open another can of tomato soup again!