Recipe by JustJanS
My New Zealand SIL's recipe. We love it for lunch on a weekend, and are more likely to eat it in Spring or Autumn than the dead of winter.
Top Review by Daydream
Not too heavy, not too light, a nice blend of flavors and easy to prepare. As Jan S says, this is perfect for spring or autumn eating. I made it with already-prepared chicken stock (straight off the supermarket shelf) and the fresh herbs as suggested by Jan, and most of the ingredients are almost always on hand. Thanks cobber!
- 500 g smoked streaky bacon, rind, removed, and, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (880 g) cancooked peeled tomatoes
- 1 liter chicken stock (cubes or powdered are ok)
- 3 sprigs fresh herbs (a mix of lemon thyme and marjoram and parsley are my choices)
- 1 (880 g) can 3 bean mix, rinsed and drained
- Tabasco sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- chopped parsley
- shaved parmesan cheese or shredded parmesan cheese, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onion and bacon until the onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up in the pan.
- Add the chicken stock and herbs and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the herb sprigs, add the beans and cook for about 5 more minutes to heat through.
- Add the Tabasco and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle liberally with chopped parsley.
- Serve with shaved parmesan and crusty bread.