Fresh tomatoes from the garden really make this dish.
Make and share this Tomato, Bacon, and Onion Quiche recipe from Food.com.
- Place pie crust in pie pan, and prebake it for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Cook chopped turkey bacon and red onion until carmelized in frying pan, and place in separate dish.
- Mix eggs, milk, cheese, and seasonings in mixing bowl. Add the onions and bacon, and pour into prebaked pie crust. (Note: pie crust does not have to be browned,only a little hardened.).
- Place the sliced tomatoes on top, one by one, all around until the top is covered.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until knife inserted is 'clean'.
It was amazing! We used turkey bacon, and this quiche was wonderful. My wife had never tried quiche, and made fun of me for getting excited about making one, but she sure changed her tune once this was ready! Can't wait to make it again!
Total Winner! I used Roma tomatoes and fresh basil & thyme, but other than that, made as directed. Not long ago we started using a lot of turkey bacon & I really love how lean it is, especially for the quiche. The flavor of this is fabulous. Everything works really well together but I think the caramelized onions are the star of the show. They really made this quiche stand out from others we've had in the past. Just as an FYI, this took about 65 minutes in my top oven to cook through. Thanks so much for posting this one, zaarnut. We'll be making it again & again! :) Made & enjoyed for Photo Forum's 2010 Undercover: Pies & Tarts event.