Recipe by Kellen's mum
I don't remember where I got this recipe, but it sure is delicious! To get the perfect grilled cheese every time, you should start by heating your skillet to low. Once you build your sandwich, leave the skillet on low and cover with a lid or foil. Cook for a couple of minutes to let the cheese get gooey and you fillings get warm. Then remove the lid/foil and turn up heat, flipping your sandwich until it is perfectly toasted. Yum!
Top Review by Nif
This made for a fabulous lunch! I loved the cumin with the avocado and heating the sandwich up slowly was the perfect way to melt the cheese. Made for my adopted chef for Spring PAC 2012. Thanks Kellen's mum! :)
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 6 ounces sliced jack cheese
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mash together avocado, lemon juice, cumin and salt until smooth. Stir in parsley. Set aside.
- Lightly spread mayo on each of the bread slices. To build your sandwich, turn one slice of bread mayo side down in skillet; top with cheese; spread with avocado mixture and top with tomato slices the remaining bread slices.
- Cover your skillet with a lid or foil and cook on medium-low for several minutes to allow the cheese to melt and fillings to warm. Remove lid and increase heat to medium-high. Continue cooking until your bread is done to your liking.
- Note: You may substitute butter for the mayo, however, I find that the mayo makes the bread crispier and less greasy than butter. And it leaves no mayo taste behind.