Recipe by Seasoned Cook
TRUE DELIGHT for all of the tomato lovers!!! This casserole has all of the flavors which blend perfect together. This is a great side dish for serving guests. My family has enjoyed this casserole for quite some time. Best when tomatoes are homegrown or from a farmer's market.
- 6 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups herb stuffing cubes (Pepperridge Farm)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Optional: Saute onion in a small amount of oil.
- Layer one-half of tomato slices on bottom of an oblong baking dish. Sprinkle with one-half of salt, pepper and seasonings. Layer one-half of stuffing, cheese and onion in that order.
- Layer remaining tomatoes and seasonings. Top with remaining onion, stuffing and then cheese. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.