Recipe by mollypaul
Aspics on the buffet or smorgasbord table are like gems on a beautiful woman. This one makes an attractive presentation when filled with a delicious chicken or seafood salad and is easily prepared the day before. From the Mississippi Valley section of The United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947. Gelling time not included in preparation time.
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 4 slices onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 -3 cardamom seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain gelatin
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream, stiffly beaten
- salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer half of the tomato juice with onion, bay leaves, peppercorns and cardamom seeds for ten minutes.
- Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup cold tomato juice and mix remaining tomato juice with cream cheese.
- Strain hot tomato juice, add salt to taste and softened gelatin and stir until dissolved; cool.
- Add cream cheese mixture and place in refrigerator.
- Just when it starts to congeal, fold in the whipped cream.
- Spray your mold (individual ring molds are beautiful, too) lightly with cooking spray (or lightly oil).
- Fill mold (or individual molds) with mixture and chill until firm.
- Unmold onto salad greens and fill with chicken or seafood salad.