Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Wonderful Ways to Prepare Preserves by Jo Ann Shirley. The book does not tell you how many jars you get from this recipe. I have made this in half pints and pint jars...but I can't remember how many. ;D So that is a big help, eh? I just put in an amount so the program would accept it.
- 3 lbs tomatoes
- 3 lbs cooking apples, cored
- 1 lb onion
- 1 medium green pepper (or any colour you wish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 5 cups vinegar
- Chop together the tomatoes, apples, onions, pepper and raisins.
- Put into saucepan with the sugar, salt and spices tied in a piece of muslin or cheesecloth. Mix well.
- Add the vinegar, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is reduced to a thick consistency (about 1 1/4 hours).
- Remove the muslin bag of spices and press the mixture through a strainer.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.