Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From www.grandcentralbakery.com Makes a great sandwich spread or condiment for fish or meat. In summertime, when tomatoes are plentiful, substitute fresh tomatoes (heirloom variety are good!) from the garden or farmers' market.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced (Walla Walla is good, as is Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 cup diced leek, cleaned well, white part only
- 1⁄4 cup re-hydrated sun-dried tomato, pureed
- 3 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes (canned okay-DRAINED and liquid reserved)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (dark or white)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Saute the yellow onions in oil until very soft and caramelized. Add leeks, and sauté until soft.
- Add the reserved tomato liquid (but NOT the tomatoes) and the pureed sun dried tomato paste to the caramelized onions and deglaze the pan. (If using fresh tomatoes, add about 1/2 cup water.).
- Reduce mixture until almost dry. Remove from heat.
- Cool onion mixture then add the diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt, and brown sugar.
- Keep refrigerated. Use within two weeks.