Recipe by evelyn/athens
From Bon Appetit, November, 1991.
Top Review by tomatolater
This is the best tomato soup I have ever eaten. I've made it 4 times for several different people and none of us can ever get enough. If you are looking for the perfect tomato soup look no further. I won't ever use another tomato soup recipe AND it puts together pretty quickly. I only wish I could give it 10 stars. The best recipe I have gotten from this site.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed,well drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup milk (about) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree canned tomatoes with juices in processor or blender until smooth.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and sauté until very tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar and oregano.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix in cream, spinach and basil and simmer 3 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Thin soup with milk if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls; pass Parmesan separately.