Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
There are lots of Spinach, Tomato recipes but when I checked this one is a little different. I threw it together and liked the result. I say it is for 2 but that is if it is served with a salad and a roll. Hope you enjoy it. I like lite Havarti but use your favorite cheese. The hot spice is optional but it does give some pep to the recipe. An 8" pie plate works but it needs to have at least 1 1/2 " sides. I used an 8" x 6" casserole dish. I used adobo chili pepper for my "Hot" spice.
- 473.18 ml tightly packed Baby Spinach, cleaned, stems removed
- 236.59 ml onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml chili flakes (optional)
- 14.79 ml fresh basil, chopped or 2.46 ml dried basil
- 236.59 ml 2% cottage cheese, drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 56.69 g lite havarti cheese, grated
- Pre heat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray a baking dish with Pam or other No Oil spray.
- Place the cottage cheese in a strainer and drain for 5 minutes.
- Pack the spinach on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the sliced onion.
- Sprinkle on the Adobe spice.
- Combine the eggs and cottage cheese in a food processor and puree until the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour over the spinach.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Sprinkle on the grated cheese.
- Bake in 375 oven until golden and the eggs are cooked apprx 25 minutes.
i chose this recipes for the Vegetarian swap tag game because of my large amount of garden tomatoes and fresh herbs, I did increase the chili flake amount, also used old cheddar cheese, thank you for this delicious recipe Bergy!
Just got thru with my first slice.....made it for breakfast. Love the ease of prep...and being able to add whatever vegs I'm craving, and not having to cook them first! And of course bacon. I did not bother to puree the egg mixture, just used my whisk. I enjoy adding vegs to my eggs, and this was a simple easy twist. This one is a keeper......will have to stop myself from eating the whole thing!
I added some cooked bacon cut up on top of the sliced onions. Loved the flavor and the ease of preparation. Also used ricotta cheese as that is what I had. We enjoyed this with blueberry muffins,<br/>Thanks for the great brunch recipe. Carole in Orlando