Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This tart is wonderful for brunch or a light lunch or supper. Serve with a mixed green or fruit salad. I've made this many times over the years and always get a lot of compliments when I serve it. Garden-fresh tomatoes are a big plus in this tart--to peel easily, spearing the tomato with a fork, immerse briefly in boiling water, run under cold water and the peel just slips off! Originally from a Bon Appetit Breakfasts and Brunches cookbook, published in 1983.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush mustard over pastry shell and bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and cool.
- Remove sausage from its casings and sauté in a small skillet, crumbling with a fork, until cooked through.
- Drain and let cool.
- Sprinkle sausage over pastry shell, cover with tomato slices, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil and parsley.
- Combine cheese and mayonnaise in small bowl and blend well.
- Spread over tomato slices, sealing completely to edges.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 35 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Loved this tart and will make again. Very easy to prepare and easier to eat. I shall confess that I didn't peel the tomatoes (!) and I would recommend allowing the tart to sit for 10 minutes after removing from the oven to set. We dove into it straightaway and it was still too liquidy to handle properly. Not that that detracted from the sublime tastes. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.
SO GOOD! I served this with cream of chicken soup at a Christmas lunch. I used chicken w/ garlic and roasted red pepper sausage from Whole 'Paycheck'. I used fresh basil instead of dried and since I didn't know what to do with the parsley (the directions didn't specify) I added it in with the basil, S&P. It may have been intended for a garnish. Regardless, this was absolutely delicious.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! This is absolutely delicious!! Made it exactly as recipe states and we loved it!!! Took the one piece that remained to my F2F book group, and ended up coming here to 'Zaar (in the middle of the meeting) to print off copies for all the group members!!! You are now famous for your tart in this part of western NY!!! Terrific!!!