Recipe by dividend
This is my favorite soup. It's a nice balance of sweet and savory, and it freezed beautifully. I like it with grilled cheese. (I hate to specify a brand name / hard to find ingredient, but I haven't found a good substitute for Thai Kitchen's roasted red chili paste.) [This is adapted from The Naked Chef (Jamie Oliver).]
Top Review by taracnolan85
Excellent! I bought a jar of bulk roasted red peppers and the jar broke... so I had to find some recipes to use them in. I had four different ones picked out, but after trying this soup I scrapped the other recipes and made four batches of it to freeze for later. I used veggie stock instead of chicken to make it vegan, it couldn't have turned out better.
- 3 red peppers
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 14.79 ml roasted red chili paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 (1190.67 g) can diced tomatoes
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 473.18 ml chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil the red peppers, turning them so they blacken on all sides. Once they’re black, put them in a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and leave them until they’re cool enough to handle (about 30 minutes). Peel, seed, and roughly chop them.
- Warm the olive oil in a thick-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the peppers, chili paste, and a pinch of salt, stir to combine, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the garlic, add to the pot, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes, and add to the pot with the red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock. Puree with a stick blender until smooth, and simmer for 15 more minutes.