Recipe by ~*Miss Diggy*~
Red rice has a firm texture and a nutty flavor. You can use brown rice if you cannot find red rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled, and finely chopped, and seeded if you can
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red rice or 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pot, and add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and let cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, cinnamon stick (if using), thyme, dried oregano, sugar and cayenne pepper, letting it cook and stirring occassionally for 5 minutes. (The tomatoes will begin to disintegrate.).
- Add broth and rice, and then bring to a boil. If any foam rises to the surface, skim it off.
- Once it has started boiling, lower the heat and cover, letting it simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender, adding more broth if necessary.
- Stir in fresh oregano and season with salt and pepper, for taste. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick (if used) and serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.