Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A sharp and tasty soup loaded with flavour thats quick and easy to make.
- 500 g onions (thats about 5 red onion sized, diced)
- 500 g tomatoes (thats probably about 6-8 normal salad sized, diced)
- 200 g red peppers (thats 2 there abouts, diced)
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloved garlic
- 100 ml double cream
- 15 g parmesan cheese, optional for topping
- soften and brown the onions in olive oil.
- add the peppers and soften.
- add the tomatoes and cook down.
- add the garlic, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, sugar and basil leaves and cook in for a few minutes.
- Purée with stick blender (saves taking it all out of pan).
- then leave on a low simmer for 10 minutes.
- add double cream and stir in --
- serve topped with a swirl of cream, spinkle of black pepper, a little finely chopped basil and parmegano -- .
MADE FOR PAC, March 2011: This is a lovely soup. The cook's ingredient description of the 1st 3 ingredients is a bit muddled, but it works. I used fewer onions, as I thought the balance would be out if the onions weighed the same as the tomatoes. I may have used more red peppers, because I baked mine at high heat, as I wanted to peel off the skins before using in the soup. So to make up for that shrinkage I used 3 red peppers. Otherwise, all I changed was to use Tabasco instead of pepper, I added a splash of Worcestershire sauce, my soup needed a little more salt, and I added dried basil because I was out of fresh. What can I say? It was a tasty soup, Chef AskCy, thanks!