Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Try it before you knock it!!! Best Jam I have ever had! Got the recipe from my husbands great aunt.
- 1 kg tomatoes, peeled and chopped (10med)
- 400 g green apples, peeled and chopped (2 large)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups passion fruit pulp
- 1 kg sugar (4 cups)
- combine tomatoes and apples in a large boiler, cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 25 mins, or until fruit is pulpy.
- stir in juice, pulp, and sugar.
- stir over heat until sugar in dissolved.
- bring to boil, and boil, uncovered, until jam jells when set when tested.
- Pour jam into hot sterilised jars and seal when cold, makes about 5 cups if it doesn't want to jell, you can add pectin.
Quite tasty. Had to add pectin. How many time are there tomatoes, green apples and passion fruit pulp in the house at the same time.....Had it. Made it.
This is unusual, but tastes great. I halved the recipe as I didn't need such a large quantity, and it still jelled perfectly. I made the recipe as directed, except that I put the tomato and apple in the blender briefly before step 2, as there were still large chunks of apple, and I thought it might make the end product unattractive. You could put this interesting jam on bread or toast, or could even serve it like a chutney or relish with poultry. Thanks mummamills!