Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I always make this soup at the end of summer when vegetables are cheap and of good quality. The flavours blend together to make a really fresh and lively taste. This soup only seems to work when made in large quantities . I always freeze any excess.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb onion
- 4 lbs tomatoes
- 1 lb old potato
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large red peppers (pimientos)
- 2 stalks celery
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 pint white wine
- 2 pints orange juice
- 1⁄2 pint chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly chopped basil
- double cream (to garnish)
- basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1 small French baguette
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 ounces fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Tomato and Orange Soup-----------.
- Prepare and roughly chop the onions, potatoes, carrots, celery and red peppers.
- Quarter the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds which will make the soup taste bitter if used (extract any juice from the "jelly" surrounding the seeds).
- Use a BIG saucepan.
- "Sweat" the onions, potatoes, carrots, celery and peppers in the olive oil on a low heat for about 10 minutes or until softened, add the tomatoes and garlic and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, stock, orange and lemon juice and zest and bring rapidly to the boil.
- Add salt pepper and sugar.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup and pass it through a fine mesh sieve to produce a smooth liquid.
- At this point the soup can be frozen.
- Reheat the soup being careful not to let it boil.
- Add the chopped basil an stir well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Serve the soup with a swirl of double cream and float a couple of whole basil leaves on top.
- Parmesan Croutons---------------.
- Pound together the butter, garlic, paprika and parmesan cheese.
- Spread the mixture on thin slices of french bread.
- Bake in the centre of a medium oven for about 10 minutes or until toasted golden.
- Serve hot with the soup.