Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oaxacan (wah-hah-can) is similar to mozzarella if it were braided. It shreds & pulls apart like string cheese. Summertime tomatoes make this salad shine! Stack all the ingredients into a tower, it is gorgeous, almost to pretty to eat! From Elote Cafe cookbook & chef Jeff Smedstad.
- 2 cups oaxacan cheese, hand shredded
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 4 radishes, cut in half then thinnly sliced
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to tase
- 4 large vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced thick
- Slice the tomatoes, thick. Set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the tomatoes and toss well.
- Arrange on salad plates so that the salad mixture is layered between the stacked tomato slices.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette remaining in the bowl.
I really loved this salad. I used organic red and yellow heirloom tomatoes and was pleased with the result. I can only imagine how terrific this will taste with fresh homegrown summer tomatoes! I made this exactly as written. I found it difficult to "stack" this easily, so I sort of overlapped the sliced tomatoes, with the salad mixture between them. Thanks for posting!