Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is so good and fast to make for a tasty starter. Adapted from: Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION:Italy.
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaf, cleaned
- 1 pint bocconcini, mozzarella pieces
Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch fresh basil leaves in boiling water for just a second and then remove right into a large bowl of ice water.
- Drain the basil, carefully squeezing out the excess water, but keeping the leaves whole.
- Wrap 1 basil leaf around each bocconcini. Skewer the wrapped bocconcini onto the end of a wooden skewer. Dip in the tomato sauce and enjoy!
- Tomato Sauce:.
- Open the can of tomatoes, pour off the juice, and discard.
- With your hands, squeeze the whole tomatoes to a pulp, adding pulp to a bowl as you squeeze. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan over high heat. Add garlic and cook until golden and fragrant; be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add tomato pulp, stir to combine, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve as a dipping sauce for the bocconcini.