Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from a lady that owned a small Italian restaurant in NY. It is a wonderful little appy.
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, ball sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons basil
- Slice the tomatoes and cheese in equal amounts.
- Lay on a plate, overlapping, but still leaving enough room to expose about an inch to an inch and a half of each.
- Drizzle olive oil over top and sprinkle with basil.
- Chill in fridge for atleast one hour.
I love this appetizer/salad. The flavor combination is deceptively simple, yet very flavorful. I adore fresh mozzarella and this is a great way to showcase it. I prefer the taste of fresh basil to the dried, but the dried was still very tasty in this. I would highly recommend measuring the oil to taste instead of accurately measuring out 4 Tbsp - you might end up with too much if you do. I also added just a sprinkling of sea salt and a grinding of black pepper over the top just before serving as a garnish.
Made this for lunch along with a loaf of french bread for cleaning up the plate. I too added salt & pepper. I also leave it at room temperature for an hour to allow all the flavours to mingle.
I just made this, it was really good. I made it for one serving, because I was the only one home. It was great, I will definetely make this often. Good with salt and pepper.