Recipe by JustJanS
I made this at work this morning (x 8 times this recipe!) so I've borrowed the book to copy it and a few more out I'm interested in.
Top Review by Stardustannie
This was a great healthy n filling soup. I replaced the tomato juice with tomato passata as that is what I had on hand. Otherwise made as directed with great results..thanks for sharing!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, quasrtered and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g red lentils
- 1 1⁄4 liters water
- 350 ml tomato juice
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the leek, carrot, onion and garlic, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or stirring frequently until the leek and onion are a little softened.
- Rinse and drain the lentils, picking them over for any foreign matter.
- Add the lentils to the pan and stir in the waster, juice and tomatoes, Add the cumin, coriander, bayleaf and a large pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- you can now puree the soup if you prefer it smoother or leave it as it is.
- Season well with salt and pepper before serving.
- Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.