Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We were headed to my brother & SIL's house for a Father's Day lunch and they have a ceramic cooker. I was instructed to bring a side dish or salad and since I was in the mood for eggplant, and wanted to take advantage of their cooker, I searched for a grilled eggplant salad. I found one that sounded like a good start and after some adjustments and additions, came up with this. Everything except the onion, eggplant, and tomatoes was measured by eye so it is all more or less to taste. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled & cut into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 8 -10 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, halved
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Prepare grill to medium heat (about 300-350F).
- Combine dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Brush onions with oil and grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side until onion is tender and has begun to caramelize. I found this easier to do in a grill basket, but if you don't have one, be extra careful when flipping so they don't fall into the grill. Roughly chop onion into pieces and set aside.
- Lightly coat both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil. Grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until tender. Cool slightly then roughly chop into pieces.
- Combine eggplant, onion, tomatoes, basil, and olives in a large bowl. Add dressing to taste (I had a little left over but your mileage may vary) and toss gently to combine.
- Crumble feta over the top and toss again gently. Serve.