Recipe by Chriztie1502
Taken from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet Cookbook, by Nava Atlas. I haven't tried this as soft tacos, but works great as quesadillas!
- 2 medium-firm flavorful tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- to taste minced fresh cilantro
- 4 soft taco-size flour tortillas (8 to 10 inch)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup grated reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
Directions See How It's Made
- To make quesadillas, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange the tomatoes, chilies, and optional cilantro on the entire surface of 2 tortillas. Sprinkle with the cheese, and cover with the remaining tortillas. Arrange the quesadillas on a nonstick baking sheet and bake until the tortillas become lightly golden and crisp on the outside, 12 to 15 minutes; or grill them on a nonstick griddle on both sides until golden. Cut each quesadilla into 4 equal wedges, allowing 2 wedges per serving, and eat out of hand.
- To make soft tacos, arrange a single layer of tomato slices over one half of each tortilla, and sprinkle with the chilies, cheese, and optional cilantro. Arrange on individual plates. Heat each serving briefly in the microwave (about 1 minute) or preheated 400 degree F oven (about 3 minutes) to melt the cheese, then fold over. Eat at once with a knife and fork or cut into 2 wedges and eat out of hand.