Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from Donna Hays excellent 'Off The Shelf' cookbook. I've made this multiple times and added mussels too - absolutely delicious. Serve with a salad of rocket and parmesan, and toasted rolls rubbed with garlic, drizzled with olive oil and salted.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (440 g) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 250 ml white wine
- 500 ml vegetable stock or 500 ml fish stock
- 500 g shelled raw prawns (shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley (continental)
- cracked black pepper
- sea salt
- Add oil, onions, and garlic to a saucepan on medium heat and cook. Stir until soft and golden (about 8 minutes). Add the tomatoes, crush with a fork, then add the wine and stock, simmer until thickened slightly (about 10 minutes).
- Add the prawns and cook until they've turned red (about 5 minutes), then add the parsley, pepper and salt. Serve into bowls with crusty bread.
- (To get 500gms peeled prawns you will need 1kg unshelled prawns).
Delicious stew -- and it really is ready within 30 minutes. I used seafood marinara mix in place of prawns. That worked especially well and meant I only had to peel a few prawns for garnish. An unexpected guest turned up for lunch, so to stretch the stew a bit, I added a tin of drained chickpeas. Also sprinkled in some fresh snipped chives from the garden. Offered sambal oelek on the side for those who wanted to stir in a dollop of heat. Thanks so much for posting such a tasty and easy-to-make recipe. Made for Pick a Chef March 2011.