Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Made this for dinner last night and it was great! Be sure to use FRESH parmesan....
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 21 ounces peeled plum tomatoes, drained, crushed
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- thinly sliced fresh basil, for garnish (I left this out)
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and 6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Simmer soup uncovered 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with thinly sliced basil and remaining Parmesan.
yummy. i made it as directed, except that i added sugar to the onions so they would caramelize. also, after the soup had simmered for 20 minutes, i used my immersible blender and pureed it.... absolutely delicious.