Recipe by Muffin Goddess
I'm always on the lookout for tomato soups that aren't creamy or pureed (like the canned kind). This is a nice savory brothy tomato soup with yummy garlicky croutons. From Gramercy Tavern in NYC.
Top Review by breezermom
Delicious and easy! Adore the croutons. For future use, I'll make the croutons a bit smaller, adjust the cooking time to reflect that, and add them when serving for appearance. But with the large crouton size, adding them in and cooking for a minute makes sense.....otherwise you'd cut your mouth up! I halved the recipe and only used about 3/4 of an onion. Otherwise, I made as posted. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
GARLIC BREAD CROUTONS
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 9 garlic cloves, minced (fresh is best)
- 8 ounces crusty white sourdough bread, in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock (canned chicken broth is okay)
- 2 (28 ounce) canspeeled plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely crushed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced (garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- GARLIC BREAD CROUTONS:.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup olive oil and 3 minced garlic cloves. Add bread pieces and toss to coat. On a large baking sheet, arrange coated bread in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven until golden (approximately 20 minutes), stirring once. Set baked croutons aside.
- TOMATO SOUP (can be started while croutons are baking):
- In a large heavy-duty pot, heat 2 tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for approximately 25 minutes, or until very tender. Add remaining six minced garlic cloves and cook for one minute. Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add garlic bread croutons to soup and cook for one minute more. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish each serving with basil slices and Parmesan shavings.