Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a twist on an italian favorite. The tomato adds a flavorful kick to the eggplant.
- 1 large green tomato
- 1 eggplant
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 medium egg
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 -3 cups gravy (spaghetti sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- Heat oil in large skillet on med-high heat.
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Peel eggplant and cut in 1/2 inch slices, lay flat and salt the eggplant, set aside.
- Cut tomato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Beat eggs in large shallow bowl; set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs with salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley and garlic powder, set in large shallow bowl.
- When the eggplant starts to sweat, blot up liquid with paper towel, this takes the bitterness out of the eggplant.
- Dip eggplant into egg, then into breadcrumbs.
- Pan fry the eggplant until golden brown.
- Repeat same process with tomato slices.
- *NOTE* Breadcrumbs tend to soak up the oil when cooking, so you may need more to finish frying sliced tomatoes/veggies.
- When all slices are fried.
- Take large baking dish and cover bottom of pan with gravy.
- Place a layer of breaded eggplant on the gravy, followed by a thin layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Then place a layer of tomato slices on top the cheese.
- Next place a thin layer of gravy over the tomato followed by another layer of cheese.
- Repeat until casserole dish is full.
- The last layers should be gravy and cheese.
- Place full casserole into preheated oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Anastasia, this recipe is AWESOME!!! I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs, but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I wasn't very sure of this recipe at first, as I have never really cared for green tomatoes, but I was delightfully surprised by this dish. Crusty garlic bread, and a green salad....this was a meal made in Heaven!! I like the fact that it does not contain meat, but yet it is so satisfying. Please do share some more of your recipes with us:) ~Manda