Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh out of the garden. What a nice way to serve those summer hierloom, Polish, Yellow, and Red tomatoes.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 -2 anchovy, rinsed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup onion, rough chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and process till smooth and creamy.
- Place all the lettuce on a large platter.
- Arrange tomatoes and cucumbers on lettuce.
- Pour some dressing on arrangement and serve some on the side for those that want it.
Really loved this salad, the anchovies make such a difference to the dressing. I had a mixture of baby lettuce leaves and the dressing was fine. This will go in my favourites.
This is a great salad and I loved the addition of the anchovies to the dressing. Used only 1 clove of garlic and about half of the onions called for and it was just right for my taste. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Rita.