This tomato soup is nutritious, delicious, easy-to-make and ready in just over 30 minutes. Serve hot, room temp or even cold. Use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian/vegan. This has been adapted from a Julie Le Clerc recipe.
- 14.79-29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4.92 ml cumin, ground
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 70 g tomato paste
- 946.36 ml vegetable stock or 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 78.07 ml instant couscous
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 2.46 ml sea salt (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook over moderate heat until onion is softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the cumin and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add couscous and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes, or until couscous is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with fresh coriander (cilantro).