Recipe by Amberngriffinco
Rich, filling,FRESH SUMMER FILLED dish that will please a vegetarian or meat eater easily!! Flavor packed into EACH BITE!! If you can't find Havarti, you can substitute Gruyere. My absolute favorite to make for my vegetarian nieces.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm ripe tomatoes, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 -7 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off cobs, about 4 Cups
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned, dried and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup half-and-half (could use evaporated skim milk)
- 2 large eggs, plus
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded havarti cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups gruyere cheese, divided use
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 5 tablespoons chives, divided use
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place tomatoes on double layer paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper; cover with another double layer of paper towels.
- In large skillet, over medium heat, heat oil tillhot. Add onions and corn, cook, stirring frequently, till softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and spinach, cook stirring frequently for 1 minutes more. Remove to large bowl.
- In another mixing bowl whiks half an half, eggs, egg whites, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and cayenne. Add corn mix and stir well. Stir in 1/2 C cheese and 2 Tbsp parsley.
- Spray a 3 quart baking pan or gratin pan with nonstick spray. Add corn mixture, spread evenly. Top with HALF of the remaining cheese.
- Cover top with slightly, overlapping tomato slices. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 40-45 minutes, or til pudding is set. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.