Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you like things spicy you can add jalapeno peppers or hot pepper sauce to this dish.
- 5 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn, frozen or 1 1⁄2 cups canned corn
- 6 cups tortilla chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded tex-mex cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups nacho cheese, blend
- Peel and coarsely chop tomatoes to make about 5 cups; set aside.
- In large skillet heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic stirring for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes green pepper chili powder salt sugar and cumin; boil uncovered 6 minutes.
- Stir in corn.
- In lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish layer half of the tomato mixture, 4 cups of the tortilla chips and half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares to serve.