Recipe by awalde
Although soups are not often eaten in India, tomato soup bucks the trend and is very popular. This is excellent on a cold winter day.
Top Review by IngridH
Yummy! I'm used to Italian versions of tomato soup; with basil and oregano, so this was a really different experience. I liked the coriander and pepper flavors- they really made the tomato sing. I can't help thinking though, this would be even more amazing with a grilled cheese sandwich :D Made for ZWT8.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 15 ml oil
- 1000 ml tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons coriander, fresh chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons light cream (substitute plain youghurt)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy pan heat the oil and fry the onions for a few minutes until golden.
- Keep half of the onions for topping.
- Add tomatoes, salt, garlic, bay leaf, pepper, fresh coriander and coriander ground.
- Let simmer a few minutes.
- Mix water with cornstarch and add to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into individual serving dishes and garnish with a swirl of cream/yoghurt and onions.