Although soups are not often eaten in India, tomato soup bucks the trend and is very popular. This is excellent on a cold winter day.
- In a heavy pan heat the oil and fry the onions for a few minutes until golden.
- Keep half of the onions for topping.
- Add tomatoes, salt, garlic, bay leaf, pepper, fresh coriander and coriander ground.
- Let simmer a few minutes.
- Mix water with cornstarch and add to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into individual serving dishes and garnish with a swirl of cream/yoghurt and onions.
Yummy! I'm used to Italian versions of tomato soup; with basil and oregano, so this was a really different experience. I liked the coriander and pepper flavors- they really made the tomato sing. I can't help thinking though, this would be even more amazing with a grilled cheese sandwich :D Made for ZWT8.
A nice soup. I did add freshly ground pepper to taste, not measure and it was quite spicy pepper wise. I used an unrefined extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, sweet rice flour instead of corn starch which acts as a starch to be corn free, and yogurt. Made for Veggie Swap 31 ~ February 2011.
Tuesdays in our household we have soup for dinner in the cold months. This was quick to throw together. I used pureed tomatoes and prepped the soup on the soup then kept it heated in a slow cooker on LOW for 3 hours. The cilantro was garnished on top and not stirred into the soup. Arrowroot replaced cornstarch. Reviewed for Veg Tag February.