Different from other omlettes or egg dishes. Perfect for light lunch served with bread to dunk into the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons any flavourless oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 400 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped coriander (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- 1Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat and fry the chopped onion, garlic and chopped pepper for about 10 minutes till they are all softened but not browned.
- 2Add the spices and season with salt and pepper and give it a good mix and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- 3Add in the chopped tomatoes and basil, increase the heat a bit and let it cook uncovered for further 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally till the tomatoes have melted and broken down and the sauce has thickened.
- 4Add about 1/2 cup water and give it a good stir and check the seasoning and spread the tomato mixture evenly possible in the pan.
- 5Now carefully break the eggs on top of the tomato mixture, lower the heat, put the lid on and let it simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- 6Sprinkle with chopped coriander or parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato and Chili Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.2
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 423.0 mg
- Sodium 162.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 15.8 g