Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Different from other omlettes or egg dishes. Perfect for light lunch served with bread to dunk into the sauce.
- 4 eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons any flavourless oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 400 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped coriander (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat and fry the chopped onion, garlic and chopped pepper for about 10 minutes till they are all softened but not browned.
- Add the spices and season with salt and pepper and give it a good mix and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and basil, increase the heat a bit and let it cook uncovered for further 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally till the tomatoes have melted and broken down and the sauce has thickened.
- Add about 1/2 cup water and give it a good stir and check the seasoning and spread the tomato mixture evenly possible in the pan.
- Now carefully break the eggs on top of the tomato mixture, lower the heat, put the lid on and let it simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander or parsley and serve immediately.