Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Freely adapted version of Joy of Cooking's 'Chickpeas with couscous'. Note the lack of couscous. You can vary the amounts of the different spices to taste. Serve with rice, couscous or bread. Number of servings is for a main dish. If serving as a side dish, it will serve 4-6 comfortably.
- 2 shallots
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (400 g) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 large sprigs fresh mint leaves or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- Slice shallots finely and saute in olive oil in a medium saucepan. When shallots are a bit brown, add in pine nuts. When you can smell the pine nuts cooking, stir in spices and tabasco sauce. Cook for a minute more.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Drain chickpeas and rinse before adding to the saucepan. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, including juice. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile mash garlic cloves with salt in a mortar and pestle until they form a paste. Add mint leaves. If using fresh mint leaves, reduce them to a paste as well. If dried mint leaves, don't bother. Stir the garlic mixture into the yoghurt and allow to stand.
- To serve, spoon stew over your chosen carb and top with a dollop of the garlic yoghurt.
- For Vegetarian do not use the Chicken broth.